|Object ID #||1987.66.21|
|Place of Origin||probably American|
|Material||Cotton, Fur, Leather, Paper, Silk|
|Dimensions||H-7 W-10 L-12 D-6 inches|
A man's top hat made out of black beaver felt. The crown is 6.00" high with a black grosgrain ribbon wrapped around the base of the crown. The 2.00" wide brim is turned up on the sides and bound with the same black grosgrain ribbon. The brim is lined in a dark green cotton, while the crown is lined with a burgundy embossed paper with a gold stamp that reads: " UNIVERSELLE, CHAPEAU BREVETE, [Universal, Patented Hat] HOPSON, HATTER." There is also a leather hatband attached to the inside of the crown and the name "A. Longacre" is handwritten on the inside of the crown.
This hat was worn with a matching wedding jacket and vest, both worn by John W. Longacre, see 1987.66.2 and 1987.66.3 for the matching articles.
|Provenance||Worn by John W. Longacre (1848-1922) at his January 9th, 1875 wedding to Mary B. Schantz (1852-1931). They were married by Preacher Joseph Schantz (1814-1881). The couple resided in Richland Township, Bucks County and were members of the East Swamp Mennonite Church. The hat was later owned by their son Aaron S. Longacre (1876-1947), as indicated by the handwritten name.|
|Source||Gift of Dorothy Longacre McGann|
Longacre, Aaron S., 1876-1947
Longacre, John W., 1848-1922
Longacre, Mary B. Schantz, 1852-1931