Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Bonnet
Object ID # 1988.27.1
Creator Maker Unknown
Place of Origin Chester County, Pennsylvania
Year Range from 1850
Year Range to 1874
Material Buckram, Cotton, Silk
Dimensions H-12.5 W-10.5 inches
Description Ladies bonnet, reminiscent of a Poke bonnet or the early 19th century Quaker bonnets which were prevalent in southeastern Chester County and may have influenced Chester County Mennonites. The bonnet is constructed out of buckram and covered on the outside in black silk, while the brim is lined in cream silk. The brim is 6" wide and meets the crown with an attached pleated silk ribbon. The crown is soft and attached at the base of is a small black silk bow and a 2.5" long skirt. Attached to the inside of the back of the crown is an old paper label with the handwritten name "Mary Latshaw", probably put there by Mary herself.
Provenance Worn by Mary B. Hiestand Latshaw (1794-1874), of East Vincent Township, Chester County, probably in her later years. She was the wife of Jacob B. Latshaw (1796-1867), an ordained minister at the Vincent and Coventry Mennonite Congregations. The bonnet was passed down by her daughter Annie H. Latshaw Stauffer (1830-1920), then to her daughter, the donor.
Source Gift of Mary Stauffer Guntz
People Latshaw, Mary B. Hiestand, 1794-1874
Collection Clothing-Accessories